Monday, May 25, 2015

Hear them calling, you and me, every son of liberty.

My grandfather was a WWII veteran. He was a machine gunner in the United States Army. He was a prisoner of war, captured by the Germans. I remember him telling stories of the war, when I was growing up, and being fascinated by his adventures. "Every man should experience fighting in a war," he would often say. It wasn't until I had grown up that I realized what he actually meant. It wasn't because it was fun. It wasn't because of the chance to visit far-far-off lands that you would probably never get to see otherwise. It wasn't because it was an honor to do your duty for God and country. Those were things that were partly true in his mind, and for others in his generation, but they weren't the main truth. The real reason everyone should have to experience fighting in a war is so that nobody ever has to experience it in the future. If everyone knew the horrors of war, the losses experienced by any soldier gone through it, the complete devastation of humanity that continues long after the treaties are signed, surely another means to the end would be implemented. 
 
Obviously, as I am able to sit and write today, my grandfather made it home. The stories he told, that I sort of glamorized in my youth, are treasured memories now. But their true meaning didn't become clear until he was long gone. For a long time, the movies made about WWII were watchable by the family. They weren't true-to-life depictions. They didn't give you any sense of the reality of it all. Movies about Vietnam, those were vivid and made you realize what the boys over there went through; why they had such a hard time adjusting upon returning home. But WWII? That was still all "follow me boys," and "last one to Hitler is a rotten egg." Then came "Saving Private Ryan."

I wept during the opening scenes of that film. I finally understood that war was war. WWII wasn't any less horrible than Vietnam. It didn't have a different effect on the boys who fought in one or the other. It made sense, finally, why my grandfather was rarely without a drink in his hand. It made sense why he went into law enforcement and chose a life dealing with crime and accident scenes instead of going back to work at a printing press. It was what he knew. It was what he had become. It was because of what the experience of war did to him. 
 
The men of WWII came home changed forever. They came home broken and damaged for good. It was a different time, though, there was a different mindset. They pushed it away and tried to move forward with life, holding the damage hostage behind alcohol or a sense of duty that hasn't been seen since, or both. Those who were lucky enough to return home, like my grandfather, may not have lost their lives for our country, but they did lose some part of them. They left their innocence on the battlefields. They left friends. They left the possibility of a remaining lifetime free from reoccurring nightmares of their experiences. 
 
They did their best, though. They raised families and locked things away as they thought they should, giving only hints of what actually went on behind those loving eyes. 
 
On this Memorial Day, I remember my grandfather as I do every day. I remember everything he taught me, even the lessons I didn't understand until after he was gone. I take to heart what he went through so that I might exist and enjoy the life I have today; so that all of us can. I remember all those who did the same, those who lost their lives doing it, or just pieces of their lives. They gave so that we may gain. Every one of us must always remember this.

No comments:

Post a Comment