Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Fly Away, Fly Away To Your New Home Across the Bay

I don’t know if it’s everything going on in my own life right now, or if it really is just the fact that he’s gone… maybe a little of both… but it’s been all I can do to keep myself from breaking down in tears since finding out about the passing of Robin Williams. It’s a little embarrassing to feel this distraught over the loss of someone I’ve never met and probably never would have met.
Someone who wasn’t a friend or member of my family, or even remotely connected to anyone that falls into one of those categories.
A celebrity.
I’ve had moments in the past, reading tributes or heartfelt thoughts on other celebrities upon their passing, where the sentiment and the empathy would choke me up a little, but nothing like this. This is affecting me like I lost someone close to me.
And maybe there’s good reason for that.
When I was a kid, our family time was generally gathering in the living room to watch an evening of television. We only had the handful of channels, and I was not only the remote control but the antenna rotor operator. I could find just the right spot to turn a blizzard on the screen to a few flakes of snow going relatively unnoticed. My brother, later plural, and I lying on the living room floor while Dad reclined in his Lazy Boy knockoff and Mom curled up at her end of the couch (sometimes with a book, depending on what was on that night) was a nightly event. Saturdays gave us the Love Boat and Fantasy Island, Saturday Night Live after the news. Sunday night was M*A*S*H* before bed. Tuesdays brought Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley…
I remember the episode of Happy Days that introduced us to Robin Williams. I remember thinking what a goofy, funny, weird dude he was. He was different than anyone I’d seen before. I was five. And I wanted to see more of him.
Thursday nights provided Mork & Mindy.
From that point on, Robin Williams was my comedy hero. He was never not funny. At least not that I can recall. I tuned in whenever he was on. As I was coming of age, still too young to see his stand-up, the first comedy album I ever owned was “Reality… What a Concept.” I listened to it over and over. I had to use headphones, however, as my parents couldn’t know that I owned this recording full of foul language. At one point I had the whole act memorized. I had to look things up that I didn’t understand. Not only did it make me laugh, it made me learn. I tried to be as funny as him. I tried to be as quick witted as him. He was molding me somehow.
When nothing was going right, he was there to make me laugh. I had music, I had Robin Williams… life wasn’t that bad. And then he started making movies.
Holy crap! The man can act, too!
The World According to Garp.
Dead Poets Society.
Awakenings.
What Dreams May Come.
Good Will Hunting.
The motherfucking Fisher King.
These are some of my favorite movies of all time. Movies that weren’t even necessarily funny. He was amazing in them. They made me think. They made me feel. They made my own problems and worries disappear for two hours here and there.
He was brilliant, he was amazing, and he was incapable of not entertaining. He opened my eyes to a world of comedians and comedy. He had me watching dramatic films when everyone else was watching the latest “Coreys” flick. Through him I discovered Carlin. DeNiro. Kinison. Lithgow. A host of mind expanding personalities that shaped my thoughts and changed the way I viewed the world, and no matter who or how many I discovered and took into my stable of entertainment and escape he was always there. Always my favorite. Always the standard bearer.
He was a part of my life.
And it hurts that he’s gone.

Oh Captain, my Captain! 


No comments:

Post a Comment